Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I am feeling better and appreciate your prayers. I had migraines for for almost a week and kidney/flank pain from swelling. The catheter treatment yesterday really helped and physical therapy is also very beneficial. Both problems are somewhat better and I felt more like myself today.
Martha and her friend have started a video series on "Boundaries", I have joined them and find the lessons useful in my dealing with our children. Children will draw every bit of energy from you,if you allow it. Ex: Anna told Hannah that she wasn't going to clean her room because Mommy would eventually. So while she is grounded,till it is clean, she makes it messier and messier, thinking I will give up and clean it myself.
The family councelor I see has been drilling me with the same instructions week after week. He wants the children to take a more active role with the household chores,also he emphises that they need to be respondsible for their things and messes. Anna had gone with me this time. On the way home she was very quiet, when all of the sudden she stated,"Mommy, you shouldn't talk to that pastor anymore". I asked her why, she replied," because he is going to make you mean". She thought that if I took his advice it would make me mean. Instead, I believe being firm will make mommy and daddy less irritated.
This may seem like quite simple advice, but when you are within the storm the rain can blind you. I was just trying to get by, so I ignored a lot of pathetic behaviour.
Hopefully, working along side Bruce, we can get back to what we know is right, and gain more respect with our children as we do so. Peace comes from order and respect for one another.
If you have any good parenting advice, please post it here to share with us and others who read. Love in Christ, Mary

1 comment:

  1. Mary, what a lovely post. Beth and I are so here for you as you do this hard thing. Beth told me today that last night she wanted so bad to reach out and just hold you. She said she never saw anyone so at the end of their rope as youl. Her heart is so tender toward you and what you are going through as is mine. I read the first several chapters of the book on Bounderies and although it goes back through much of what we saw on the video it also clearifies it which is really good. I just ate it up. I see so many areas that I really need to grow in. See you at Mom's tomorrow ( : Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete