Wednesday, March 2, 2011

During the past two weeks I have enjoyed taking part in a hospice training program. The training lasts for 11 weeks. I have learned quite a bit and have been challenged over some of the material.  The class helps us to council  those who are at the end of their life and also the family and friends who are very much effected by the loss of a loved one.
Most of what we will be doing is listening, comforting and encouraging.  I am finding that the principles being taught in this class should be incorporated in every day interactions with people we meet and those close to us. Listening with genuine interest when you are distracted or tired is a challenge!  But it will mean a lot to the brother or sister who  is struggling. Much of our work as fellow Christians is done through listening with interest and kindness.  Not in solving the problem but rather by asking questions to guide another toward solving the problem themselves.
I was drawn to work for hospice for several reasons.   Hospice helps people who are already at the end stage of a disease to die the way they want to and helps them to make the most of those last days, weeks or months.
I have learned how important a living will is, especially to the care giver.  The guilt can be tremendous for those who are called on to make tough decisions when  you can no longer communicate your desires.  I would urge you to write up a living will and have it simply signed by a loved one as a witness.  These documents can be changed at any time, if you change your mind you can rewrite one or verbally change it.  It will give great comfort for those caring for you to know what your wishes are if you can not communicate with them because of disease progression or if a  sudden accident has left you  with the inability to communicate.
I have the forms for writing a living will, if you would like one I would love to send you one.
Just e-mail me at momchesney@yahoo.com .
I hope your week is pleasant and full of hope for better days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment