Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today I was very excited to see a headline about an ancient text, which was found in Israel, dating back to King David's time. A slab of pottery was found near Israel's Elah valley by an archaeologist Yosef Garfinkel of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
My excitement grew as I saw that this piece of ancient writings has been proven authentic and I wondered what words were included in this piece and had God purposed for these men to find it. And if He had, are the words written on it extremely important for us. Why are they so important that they should be shared around the world?
Here is the text (grab a tissue) -

1' you shall not do [it], but worship the [Lord].
2' Judge the sla[ve] and the wid[ow] / Judge the orph[an]
3' [and] the stranger. [Pl]ead for the infant / plead for the po[or and]
4' the widow. Rehabilitate [the poor] at the hands of the king.
5' Protect the po[or and] the slave / [supp]ort the stranger.

The content, which has some missing letters, is similar to some Biblical scriptures, such as Isaiah 1:17, Psalms 72:3, and Exodus 23:3, but does not appear to be copied from any Biblical text.
(Copied from LiveScience.com)

How often in scripture do we see how important the weak and helpless are to our Father!
Just some food for thought as you go about your week!
Love in Christ, Mary

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary! I loved this posting! This really hits home as we watch what is happening in Haiti and process what part we should play in helping them. I wonder also if this came to light at this time to encourage in our thoughts toward the Haitians. We have some lovely brethren that are of Haitian or near Haitian decent and I thank God for them and wonder how many others we could add to that number if the true word of God was sent to them. ~ Martha

    ReplyDelete