Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Window into our little part of the world...

Today I would like to share just a little of the chaos that goes on in our little world. ( :
This morning when we awoke Bruce asked if I would make some eggs. But as I began the day it slipped from my mind - as I was helping Anna with her hair, straightening the bedroom and such. It was as I was going through the kitchen that I noticed Bruce sitting there with his coffee, but no empty bowl of oatmeal sitting beside him, which is the usual scene on these cold and frosty mornings. It then hit me that he was patiently waiting for his request to materialize. I went to get the frying pan from the cupboard, as I apologized for the length of time I had made him wait for his breakfast. Just then Sarah chimed in that she would love to make the eggs and that everyone loves her secret recipe. I was doubting this a little and my mind was rolling back the curtains of memory to a not to long ago egg cooking event that turned into a huge mess, which I ended up spending quite a bit of time cleaning up. But then Anna spoke up on Sarah's behalf saying how she also loved Sarah's eggs! And then my conscience chimed in saying " Mary they must learn.....".

So I took advantage of the time to run downstairs to write out an excuse note for Sam, which was almost over due and he will probably get an unexcused any ways because his father and I thought the other one was going to get prior authorization for his trip to the winter tournament in KY and so neither of us obtained authorization. So after careful thought I tried to write an appealing and humble letter to the attendance secretary explaining just that.

In the mean time Anna came down and asked if there was anything she could do to help make breakfast and again my conscience (a troublesome thing at times) said, "She needs to learn...." after all her father is sitting right there in the kitchen what could go wrong.
So I told her she could probably handle sticking in some toast and buttering it. So... with sparkles in her eyes she ran upstairs to tackle this most mature task.

In the mean time I faxed in the excuse ( if I give them to Sam he always forgets to turn them in). And then I tried to quickly call the administration office of the school district to learn how to go about registering Sarah for school (she is not doing well with the cyber school and has been pleading with me to put her back in school with "real live teachers"!). I called only to find that the phone book listed the wrong number for the administration bldg., but the person I reached was very kind and gave me the correct number, which she had handy since she gets so many calls for the administration bldg. I finally dial the correct number as I hear the kids shouting that breakfast is ready. But the message at the other end of the line goes on endlessly and when I get to the extension that I need, it simply rings and rings. I try again several times and the same thing happens, to make a long story a little shorter I finally dialed 0 and was able to talk to a live person who patched through to another line that just rang forever.

As I finished my morning's futile dialing escapade, Bruce came down the stairs in a fluster telling me angrily that I missed breakfast. I thought that perhaps his anger was because he cared so deeply that I eat a good hot breakfast, but I soon found the reason behind the rage.

Apparently Anna had done a fine job of making toast until the last two pieces, which were not quite done well enough. So Bruce asked her to stick them back in the toaster. Anna, in her enthusiasm to please her daddy, turned the dial on the toaster all the way up. Before they realized what was happening smoke was pouring out of the toaster and setting off all the alarms. Now the one important alarm, which dials the security company and then the fire department has been placed in the church office so that small stove top accidents don't get the sirens blazing toward our embarrassed household ( which has happened more then once). But I suppose the toast had burned just a little to much and set off even that alarm, so Bruce was frantically putting out the smoking toast, racing to call the security company and turning off alarms before he could sit down and eat Sarah's now somewhat cold eggs. I was oblivious to all the commotion, sheltered away in the study downstairs.
So I suppose He had a right to be a bit ticked, and we both apologized after a small cooling off period and then the day went much smoother.
I hope that when life throws you those little curve balls, sometimes one right on top of another, which it is bound to do, you can find some humor afterwards, and always know God has everything under His control.

No comments:

Post a Comment