Monday, August 17, 2009

Today I was reading some scriptures apparently about Satan that caused me to think about how our Heavenly Father viewed the fall of Satan. In Ezekiel 28 it says,:
"The word of the LORD came to me: 12 "Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
" 'You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you:
ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper,
sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings
were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared.
14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, or so I ordained you.
You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones.
15 You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created
till wickedness was found in you.
Although I have often contemplated what the beauty of Satan might have been like I had not really thought much about his character. If indeed this is talking about him then we can assume he was very wise, a model of perfection and blameless.
The first thing that strikes me is how great Our Father's lament is over the prideful fall of something He created! I believe He really understands our parental groans and tears over things our children do that are contrary to the christian walk we have, with great effort, instilled in them.
The second thought is that a being of such perfection and wisdom turned so evil over pride and vanity. How easy can we as Christians fall in this culture where beauty is so important, being ahead at any cost is common and where there is a lot of wisdom, contrary to God, being taught in our colleges and played out in politics and in science institutes where God is ignored and disdained.
I am sure Satan knows his time is short, remember he is very wise, of course in his own ways, and ready to trip us up at any and every chance.
Dear ones we must be "wise as serpents and gentle as doves" in a culture bent on setting itself above Our Lord and Redeemer!

2 comments:

  1. I noticed also in that passage that the ultimate downfall of Satan pertained to his love for violence. That seems to be a pervading theme in our culture today. Its hard to understand why so many have such a hunger for it but Hollywood is certainly meeting their need. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Martha the violence of Satan was something that was a major part of his fall. I lay in bed last night thinking about this and what you mentioned about the entertainment world. Besides the violence we see so pervacive in todays entertainment (gaming and movies) there is also a lot of science fiction which while it is highly intriguing it is also dangerously toying with discounting the Highest Intelligence (our Father and Creator) and causing mankind to feel supreme.

    ReplyDelete